The United States is a very diverse country for expats to consider moving to. The reason for this is that the country is quite large, which enables there to be many different cities and geographical locales to choose from. Consider these cities as the five best and worst cities for expatriates to choose from when relocating to the United States:
5 Best U.S. Cities for Expatriates
1. Boston, Massachusetts: Boston is one of the best cities for expats to enjoy. One of the reasons for this is that Boston enjoys some of America’s best universities. The universities in Boston combined with the vast array of historical treasures and museums provides for a wonderful experience for expats while residing in Boston.
2. San Diego, California: San Diego has a very different culture than Boston. It is more laid back and doesn’t have winter. For the expat that is looking for a place to enjoy year round outdoor activities, San Diego is a spectacular choice to consider.
3. New York, New York: New York has a great deal to offer many different kinds of expats that fancy the city life. From gourmet restaurants to sophisticated museums, New York truly has it all. Additionally, for the expat that enjoys live performances related to opera, ballet, and theatre are in for a real treat.
4. Denver, Colorado: Denver has a great scene for the expat that greatly enjoys outdoor activities. From skiing to hiking, the expat will be able to experience a lot of the mountainous scenery that surrounds Denver. Additionally, Denver is close by plane or car to some of the most beautiful national parks that the United States has to offer. For the expat that wants a city with access to incredible outdoor activities, Denver, surely offers the best of both worlds.
5. Washington D.C.: Washington D.C. offers many options to expats because there are so many individuals living there that are from around the globe. For this reason, Washington D.C. has very unique food and cultural events. This, mixed with the American culture from the South, provides for a very unique experience as an expat.
5 Worst U.S. Cities for Expatriates
1. Miami, Florida: Miami is a city that truly lacks American culture. Miami does have incredible cuisine from South America; however, it does not have a great deal of food that is distinctly American. For the expat that is looking for a more traditional American experience, it is wise to look elsewhere than Miami.
2. Phoenix, Arizona: Phoenix leaves a great deal to be desired for expats. Phoenix is very spread out and has very little in the way of diverse activities. For this reason, it is wise for the expat to look elsewhere.
3. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh has very little to do even for the locals. As far as American culture goes, there are many other parts of the United States to enjoy that do in fact have cultural activities. For the expat that is interested in the Northeast, it may be better to consider Philadelphia, New York, Boston, and Washington D.C. rather than Pittsburgh.
4. Albuquerque, New Mexico: Albuquerque does not leave a great deal of activities for expats to enjoy. The city is mostly an industrial town that does not have a distinct culture for expats to enjoy. That being said, if the expat wants a special experience in the Southwest, they should try the city of Santa Fe, which is not far from Albuquerque. Here, they will find the unique mixture of Spanish and Native American culture that the Southwest is famous for.
5. Chicago, Illinois: Chicago is a great city; however, it has recently had several crime issues. This is why it is best if Chicago was not on the list of potential destinations for expats at the current moment. Once these issues are resolved, it is highly likely that Chicago will once again remain on the top once more.
Final Remarks on the Subject
There are many impressive cities to enjoy in the United States as an expat. The key to finding the right city for you is to make a list of qualifications that you are looking for in your expat destination of choice. This way, you can line up the wonderful cities that the United States has to offer and then try to figure out which one would be the best potential fit for your individual qualifications. Once you do so, the United States has a wealth of wonderful destinations to visit while you are spending time living there as an expat. The secret is to find the ideal region that you want to focus on within the United States and then find a city that possesses what you are looking for as an expat. This way, you will be able to have a rewarding experience while enjoying expat life in the United States.